The common belief is that acid reflux or heartburn is caused by too much stomach acid but that’s not the case. GERD or Gastro Intestinal Reflux Disease is when there is inflammation of the stomach and it leads to tissue damage of the esophagus. Exactly put, GERD is symptoms of mucosal damage produced by abnormal reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus. (dr axe) or dysfunction of the muscular valve called the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) that separates the lower end of the esophagus and the stomach. The esophagus has no protection against acid and that is what people are feeling when they have heartburn or acid reflux. If these symptoms are left untreated it can lead to esophageal cancer, ulcers or Barrett’s Esophagus.
Causes of GERD:
- Too LITTLE hydrochloric acid (hcl) or also called stomach acid which is necessary for digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. When you have very low hcl your body cant digest these foods causing bloating, bacteria overgrowth, no production of pancreatic enzyme which will cause your stomach pH to rise causing bacteria overgrowth.
- poor gut health, mainly Leaky Gut Syndrome. I’m sure you have heard that term more than once. Leaky Gut is when the lining of your intestines have developed holes in them that now allow food particles that are meant to just be in your gut, to leak out into your blood stream causing inflammation in your body.
- Poor diet that is high in consumption of too much caffeine, processed foods and sugars.
So many people turn to Antacids or acid prohibiting drugs like tums, Prilosec and others because they cause your stomach to STOP producing hcl (good stuff) therefore causing bacteria overgrowth, inflammation of the stomach lining, polyps of the intestines etc.
not chewing food well
high sugar and processed foods diet
overeating or eating too large of meals
ACID REFLUX DIET:
yogurt or kefir
apple cider vinegar
good wild caught salmon
SUPPLEMENTS I RECOMMEND:
I’ve been there, I had a bout of chronic GERD and it is misery to say the least. The cause of mine was low HCL, hormonal imbalance and candida. When you have low stomach acid, bacteria can survive and cause an imbalance of bad/good bacteria in you gut which is called candida. In turn, candida over time will cause leaky gut (holes in your gut) that lead to autoimmunity and in your case heartburn. Here are a bunch of great supplements that I have used and have helped me:
- NOW Foods Super Enzymes these enzymes contain HCL which help lower the symtpoms of acid reflux, help the body digest foods properly and kill off candida
- Oregano Oil Capsules boosts immune system, kills viruses, bacteria and fungi
- Apple Cider Vinegar helps the body produce hcl naturally, increases immunity and digestion
- Veganzyme amazing vegan full spectrum enzyme to digest every type of food and keep your bacterial balance in control. It flushes the body of candida (bad bacteria overgrowth)
- Mycozil a supplement specifically to rid the body of bacterial overgrowth which may contribute to your acid reflux/heartburn symptoms
- Probiotics needed to replenish the body of good bacteria
Thank you for taking the time to read, I hope it helps you. Acid Reflux/ GERD/ Heartburn can be treated naturally when you look at your body as a whole and give it the nutrients to function properly. This is not a full in depth article but just an outline of what may be happening in your body. Pharmaceutical drugs will never treat GERD.